The Bottom LineFor puppy owners, the Sherpa pet carrier is a good choice for safe, comfortable travel to-and-from the vet, as well as in-cabin airline-approved travel. Also works great as a puppy bed, for crate training, or as an over-the-shoulder pet-tote.
- Outside Bag can be spot cleaned
- Removable, comfort fleece liner
- Top and side entry
- Mesh panels for ventilation
- Light weight (2.7 pounds to 4.35 pounds)
- Inside "D" ring to safely secure your puppy's lead
- Locking zipper to prevent accidental escape
- Includes a seatbelt (or luggage) security strap and shoulder strap
- Folds flat for easy storage
- recommended by the ASPCA, Delta Society, Humane Society and others
- Airline approved for in cabin travel (double ck dimensions with large size)
- Cost relatively high
- Fleece liner must be hand washed
- Limited to 22-pound animals
- Large breed pups will outgrow
- Potentially “chew-able” for teething pups
- Sturdy quilted nylon
- Small - for pets up to 8 lbs. Dim: 15" x 10" x 8.5"
- Medium - for pets up to 16 lbs. Dim: 17" x 11" x 10.5"
- Large - for pets up to 22 lbs. Dim: 19" x 11.75" x 11.5"
- Soft sides
- Zipper mesh front opening, zipper top
- Mesh sides for viewing and ventilation
- Storage pockets
- Removable and adjustable handle and shoulder strap
- Available in 5 solid colors
- Limited one-year warranty
Review – Sherpa Deluxe Pet Carrier
Sherpa Pet Group, maker of the carriers, has partnered with pet-friendly airlines to create the "Guaranteed On-Board" travel program for owners and pets. Owners complete the airline specific form found on www.flygob.com, print out the Guaranteed On-Board Certificate, and present the form to the boarding agent at the airport when flying with your pet. If you are denied boarding due to the Sherpa pet carrier you are using to transport your pet, Sherpa Pet Group will reimburse you for the cost of you and your pet's flight.
Sherpa carriers also work well for other functions. The Deluxe design comes in three sizes, and five solid colors. I reviewed the "Large" size for pets up to 22 pounds (19" x 11.75" x 11.5"). This size could accommodate two small puppies at once. It's important that the pet be accurately measured (height = floor to shoulders, length = base of neck to base of tail) to ensure the puppy has enough room.It has a front mesh zipper opening, and a padded nylon zipper top opening. The mesh sides allow easy viewing of the pup as well as good ventilation. A rigid removable floor provides a sturdy surface, and Velcro attaches the fleece comfort liner for non-slippage.
The quality of materials is nice, and the heavy stitching appear sturdy. The front zipper works easily but the top zipper on my carrier sticks. The carrier can easily double as a puppy bed. While manufacturer information say the liner is machine washable, tags on the fleece instead suggest hand washing. That would indicate this is not ideal for new puppy house training and would be best reserved for pups with more reliable potty etiquette.
Zippered openings provide easy access from the front or the top, particularly helpful if carrying the pup over your shoulder. Pockets store the pup’s leash, treats or other pet travel essentials. A sturdy D-ring on the inside of the carrier clips to the pup's leash for extra security, and a strap can be used to attach to the car seat belt, luggage, or "rollie" for ease of transport. However, a bored and teething pup might make short work of the tether, as well as gnaw on the canvas sides.