1. Home
Amy Shojai

Antifreeze: Beware Sweet Poison!

By November 21, 2011

Follow me on:

Funny faceI still recall the first time antifreeze poisoning in puppies touched my life. While working as a vet tech in Kentucky, an Australian Shepherd came into the clinic that November. She was a lovely blue merle baby girl and hadn't peed in two days. Her owners hadn't seen her lap up the sweet poison but from her symptoms the veterinarian was sure she'd been poisoned with antifreeze.

That was more than twenty years ago, and today we have pet-safe antifreeze products and better ways to treat if your furry wonder happens to get into the nasty stuff. The latest article about antifreeze poisoning in puppies describes why puppies like to drink antifreeze, how the poison affects them, what you can do if you catch Junior lapping up the stuff and how your veterinarian will treat to save the dog's life.

Of course, it's best to prevent puppy antifreeze poisoning with appropriate pet proofing. If you travel to visit relatives over Thanksgiving, be sure that your puppy will be safely out of danger zones and not able to get into sweet poison. Keep that smile on your puppy's face!

Image Rugaz Rescue/PetFinder.com


Comments

No comments yet. Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment


Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.