Chocolate bunnies hopped into stores this month, and if you're like me, candy temptation is hard to resist. Just be careful your puppy doesn't get into treat-trouble. Oh sure, he'll wag himself silly for "just a taste, mom!" But if he gets into the chocolate stash you'll be dealing with diarrhea or worse.
Chocolate contains theobromine--similar to caffeine--that revs up the heart and puts dogs into overdrive. It's the dark "baker's" chocolate that's the worst, and puppies won't need to eat much to get sick. If the heart or breathing stops (heaven forbid!) you'll want to know how to save the fur-kid with rescue breathing. It's much better to prevent chocolate indulgence, though, and puppy proof the house so he can't get into waste baskets or other forbidden areas. Make sure the whole family agrees on rules of the house so there are no problems with dangerous treats. What have you done to protect your puppy? Has she ever had a near-miss emergency, or worse?
Image © Amy Shojai, CABC